Everyone loves brunch...Bold statement? I dare you to challenge me! Brunch is the most important meal of the day. It includes all the food groups, the best of company, and sweet and earthy delights. Brunch can include hot chocolate, freshly squeezed juices, champagne, the most refreshing of cucumber water, and of course: coffee and espresso. It can be eaten in a picnic form, on the docks that line the Charles River, on a large family-sized table outdoors, a small intimate cafe, at your kitchen table or in bed with your best friend. As long as happiness, good food, and even better company is apart of the equation, brunch is always a go.
I learned the importance of brunch while residing in the Netherlands, no matter the time of day, people were always gathered around a table full of fresh food, happy, stress-free, and enjoying their lives. I found this most agreeable in Paris, where brunch wasn't an action but a way of life. To those of you new to the concept of brunch: although it is enjoyable, brunch is not limited to fancy boutique-like cafes in the city, or an endless budget. Brunch only requires a good friend, creativity in the kitchen, a sweet drink, and a happy attitude.
How to brunch:
1) Brunch only counts if you are surrounded by the ones you love, otherwise it's just a late breakfast.
2) Eggs are a necessity-- it does not matter the form, but brunch is just not brunch without an egg.
3) Indulging is required. This does not mean stuff your face with a thousand calories, this simply means you have to enjoy your food as if it was the best tasting thing in the world. Fresh strawberries, homemade grape jam, bread made that very morning, creamy yogurt, whatever it may be, dive into it with all your senses.
4) Laughter. A serious brunch is no fun, brunch is meant to be enjoyed... not simply tolerated.
5) And last but not least, creativity! Set the table uniquely, center the meal with fresh peonies, make name cards, or simply surprise your love in bed with a tray of food and a note (ahem, men, that's a tip for you too!)